How to Lighten Dark Spots on the Face
Dealing with dark spots and blemishes is frustrating but there are some options. Here are some ways to hide or lighten dark spots such as acne scars, age spots, and freckles.
- Makeup. Using a little concealer or foundation or tinted moisturizer can help hide dark spots.
- Use a skin lightening treatment. There are many topical products available online or in stores with lightening agents that will lighten skin over time. Read reviews of beauty products on sites like Makeup Alley to find the most effective products.
- Use natural beauty treatments. A little lemon juice diluted in water makes a great toner or rinse for the face. Lemon is a natural lightening agent.
- Treat acne scars. Benzoyle peroxide disinfects bacteria to help heal acne and it also lightens skin. A thin layer applied daily can help clear up active acne marks and minimize the look of scars, and it also helps fade the dark spots. Look for a 2% to 5% benzoyle peroxide treatment as higher concentrations can be too drying.
Avoid Sunburn and Sun Damage
It helps to avoid spending too much time in the sun. Take sensible steps to avoid sunburn and sun damage. Be sure to use sunscreen, as it can help prevent new freckles, age spots, and dark spots from forming. In addition to using skin lightening options, it also makes sense to limit direct sun exposure because it causes existing dark spots to get darker. Wearing a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen can help prevent dark spots on the face from getting worse.
Hide Dark Spots
One common and easy way to hide dark spots on the face is the careful application of makeup. Shop different brands at beauty stores like Sephora to find a good concealer.
Here are some makeup application tips.
- Get a makeup color that blends well and matches skin tone exactly. A shade that is darker or too pink will look obvious. Experiment with different makeup brands and shades for the best match.
- Apply makeup in natural lighting and blend well. Check that makeup blends imperceptibly into the skin.
- Start with a foundation or tinted moisturizer to even out the skin tone on the face.
- Use a liquid or cream concealer to dab on dark spots and blemishes. Lightly dab until it blends and covers.
- Use a little pressed or loose powder to set the concealer so it will last longer.
Get Rid of Dark Spots
Dark spots, age spots, freckles, and acne scars can wreak havoc on the face with age. Using some of the above tips can help prevent and minimize dark spots on the face. For long term solutions, skin treatments for dark spots are also available. For most people, a practical solution is to hide dark spots with makeup and take sensible steps with sun care.