Pregnancy And Low Libido
Don’t let baby dampen your sex life
During pregnancy and after giving birth, a woman experiences hormonal and physical changes which take a toll on her sexual desire or libido and her intimate moments with her partner (if he’s lucky).
These changes are:
- Morning sickness. Nausea and vomiting can make a woman lose interest in sex. Contrary to its name, “morning sickness” can strike at any time of the day or evening.
- Weight gain. “I look so fat!” is a common lamentation of pregnant women. If you’re one of them, you will understand that this can lower your self-esteem and libido.
- Tired. When you are pregnant, you produce more progesterone and this will make you sleepy. This happens during the first few months of pregnancy.
- Excitement. The baby’s coming will make you busy preparing the nursery, the clothes the little one will wear, the baby shower, among other stuff. This can take your mind off sex.
- Postpartum depression. After giving birth, some women experience postpartum depression due to hormonal changes in the body.
Female Libido Enhancers
But don’t fret. The female libido enhancer options are many and are doable.
Some of them are:
- Exercise. It helps release more serotonin hormone in the brain, making you feel better about yourself. Yoga, for one, can awaken your tired muscles and regain your strength that was depleted when you were carrying the baby for 9 months. With better self-image and energy, you will have more desire for sex.
- Food. Another female libido enhancer option is eating foods rich in vitamins and minerals. Zinc increases your testosterone level which results to sexual desire. Some food sources are oysters, kidney beans, dark chocolate and nuts.
Also take magnesium, which helps produce the sex hormones estrogen and androgen. It will improve your sexual desire and performance. Some food sources are nuts, legumes and soybeans.
Also take selenium for virility. Some food sources are brown rice, oats, pork and nuts.
- Take a break. Although your baby will need much of your time, be kind to yourself and your partner by taking a regular time off for intimacy. Ask someone to care for the baby at these times.
- Take female libido enhancer supplements. They contain herbs or aphrodisiacs to heighten your sexual desire. They also contain vitamins and minerals for better health.
Some ingredients are ginseng, which increases sex drive, endurance and stamina; saw palmetto and muira puama, which treat sexual dysfunction; sarsaparilla, which increases the release of estrogen and testosterone; and L-theanine, which calms the mind.
Some supplements contain folic acid which helps you achieve orgasms.
If you have postpartum depression, your doctor can recommend a hormonal treatment to cure the imbalance.
While you’re taking a female libido enhancer, also continue to do things that you love. Sadly, some women forego their passions in order to become full time mothers. By engaging in your hobbies, you are happier and more eager to have sex.