GetCurvyNow encourages our readers to put health first.
In fact, many of us often think about our appearance, we forget how much more important it is to be healthy.
Fortunately, losing belly fat improves the way a person looks as well as the way a person feels.
Why should you be concerned about belly fat?
It is obvious that many people who are on the path towards a healthy lifestyle and wanting to lose weight are fearful of one thing: the failures behind losing belly fat.
The common mentality behind losing belly fat is that it is too hard and you usually end up disappointed and frustrated.
I believe this is because many don’t realize the health effects that are associated with excess weight in the abdominal area.
Losing belly fat should be your number one priority when wanting to lose weight.
First off, anyone who has excess body fat is likely to store most of it in their belly.
Even if they are slimmer in other areas, the fat reserves on the stomach remain there.
Also, you should become familiar with how your body works, since it will help you in realizing what the best solution is.
There are two main types of fat in the stomach area: visceral fat and subcutaneous fat.
The first lies deep within your abdomen, beneath the muscles, and it supports and protects internal organs.
The second type is the fat that is stored just under your skin and on top of your abdominal muscles.
Visceral fat is the more dangerous of the two, because it can lead to serious health risks.
Both however can increase the risk of developing diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, strokes and various forms of cancer.
Let’s be honest with ourselves.
Yes, there are many health risks associated with belly fat, and losing it will help you live a healthier and longer life.
But, it’s also about confidence and self-image.
Belly fat is not easy on the eye; I doubt anyone doesn’t think so.
It’s time you stop being so self-conscious about showing off your body.
Losing belly fat is a TOP priority, because it is what will help you reclaim your health, well-being and confidence!
The truth behind failed attempts and why you aren’t seeing results
There are many reasons why you aren’t seeing the results you want.
Here are a couple things to keep in mind:
They will help you get rid of stereotypical thoughts and unrealistic images that you may have.
- If you are spending too much time on exercises that target the abdominal area, you are wasting your time.
- What have worked best when it comes to losing belly fat are full-body workouts that include cardiovascular as well as strength training routines.
- These types of workouts provide a better metabolic response and will increase the fat-burning hormone levels in the body.
- Keep in mind that working out your abs when it is covered with fat is not effective or smart. The first step is to make your abs visible by losing the fat that is covering them and then begin to sculpt tone and strengthen your core.
- Spending lots of time on boring and monotonous cardio routines is a big mistake!
- Variety is what will give you results.
- The majority of the people who workout are not doing the right cardiovascular exercises.
- If you want to burn fat, you should be using intervals which will create intensity in your workouts. Also, strength training will stimulate metabolic response in your body, which will help you burn fat at a faster rate.
- When it comes to losing weight, exercise alone will get you nowhere. Eating the right things in the right order and pattern is what will make a big difference in the process of weight loss.
- Crash dieting is temporary, and you will regain all the weight you lost in no time. These types of diets are hard to stick to and they are unrealistic.
- You need a diet that will eventually become a lifestyle for you, one that is nutritious, moderate and varied.
What do you need to do?
The first thing you need to do is to come to terms with your current situation.
It doesn’t matter where you start, as long as you start.
It doesn’t matter how long your weight loss process will take.
What does matter is that you are making a step towards a healthier, longer and better life! So, get motivated, and get inspired. Your health matters!
The second step is to realize that it’s not going to be easy and it’s not going to happen overnight.
Depending on certain aspects, such as your current body weight, metabolism and body structure, your results will differ from other people and you have to be prepared to be patient, work hard and not give up!
Keep in mind that maintaining your weight after losing weight is probably going to be harder than losing it in the first place.
This is why it is encouraged that you don’t get caught up with wanting to lose weight fast.
Rapid weight loss reduces your metabolism and tends to increase your appetite.
This can be bad for your healthy and you will end up gaining all the weight you lost.
Losing 1-2 pounds every week is healthy and safe, and you will be able to maintain your weight permanently.
Top 4 tips towards losing belly fat and keeping it off!
- The number one thing that will give you results has nothing to do with exercising or eating well. It has to do with the right mentality, which is a positive mentality.
- It’s natural to slip up once in a while, nobody is perfect. However, this is where the difference between a positive and a negative mentality plays a huge role in your weight loss attempts.
- Don’t give up, just because you over-indulged or let loose for one day. Start fresh the next day. Every day is a new beginning and a new attempt to achieving your goals and that flat belly you have always desired.
- Creating a routine that you know you can stick to is extremely important. Don’t make your fitness program so extreme that you are not able to keep up.
- You should be working out hard; however your goals should not be unrealistic. You know you’re lifestyle and body better than anyone else. So, be the judge and choose something that fits your needs, goals, and lifestyle and at the same time is intense and fun!
- Try to eliminate stress from your life. Stress can get in the way of living a healthy life and it also causes fat to accumulate in the mid section, because the belly is the place where stress-related fat launches first.
- Keep bad food that are tempting out of your sight. Fill your home and kitchen with foods that are healthy and nutritious and make sure when going to work, you take food with you, rather than buying out.
- It’s true when they say, out of sight, out of mind. Fighting temptation isn’t always east, especially at first, so make it easier for yourself.
What is the best way to lose belly fat?
Although it’s difficult to lose belly fat, it’s not as hard to become knowledgeable about how to lose it. Two things that the majority of people would say are to eat right and exercise regularly.
However, it’s not that simple either. The things you eat and the exercises you do play an important role in your ultimate success.
Nutrition and healthy eating
First off, if there is one thing that definitely doesn’t work when it comes to losing belly fat is crash diet. Everyone is concerned about doing things that will give them results FAST.
This approach to weight loss is the wrong approach and it is important to know that good and maintained results will come gradually, not overnight.
Although losing weight quickly tends to keep people more motivated, that motivation will be gone as soon as they begin to gain it back.
These diets that deliver results fast are not healthy, will harm your body and worse of all will not help you achieve a long-term lifestyle change.
Crash diets change your eating habits for a short period of time, meaning that you will never maintain those changes for a sustained amount of time.
What you need is a long-term change that will affect your eating habits as well as your lifestyle and the way you look at food, nutrition and healthy living.
Controlling what you eat, how you eat, and how much you eat will give you success when it comes to weight loss and losing belly fat.
This is a difficult task, but one that is worth accomplishing, because it will change your mentality, eating habits and the way you live your life.
Foods that will help you lose belly fat
There are some foods that are great for weight loss and especially for losing belly fat.
Incorporating them in your diet will help you achieve maximum results and you will embark on a healthier and longer life filled with energy to take on anything.
The following is a list of some of the best foods for losing belly fat:
- Fiber-rich fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber, so they keep you feeling fuller for longer. Also, foods that are high in antioxidants such as vitamin C and Beta-carotene help burn belly fat. Examples of foods high in antioxidants are apples, blueberries, asparagus, peas, beans, lentils and cantaloupe. There is so much variety when it comes to fruits and vegetables that you will never be bored.
- Lean meats: Eating additional protein helps in reducing belly fat. If you eat about 25% of daily calories from protein such as fish, shellfish and poultry, you will be maximizing your results. However, it is very easy to choose protein that is high in fat and calories, so make sure you are choosing lean options, and none with skin, or fried versions.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts are a great source of protein and they are also rich in fibre and antioxidants such as vitamin E and selenium. They are high fat, but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated (good fats). Including them in your diet will help reduce the risk of heart diseases. Some great choices for snacks are walnuts, pecans, pistachios and almonds. Eating a controlled amount of these nuts daily will help you consume less calories at meals, and lose belly fat faster.
- Water: You would be surprised how much hydration will impact your weight loss. Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day will help you burn fat faster and it will also assist in disregarding foods that your body craves, rather than needs. Drink a glass of water when you wake up and before each meal. Doing this will make you fuller, because your body sometimes mistakes thirst for hunger.
Check out Natalie Jill’s Tips on How to Get Flat Belly and Defined Abs
What are fat-burning foods?
Certain foods contain very little calories, but they are still rich in nutrients and fibre. When we consume these fat-burning foods, our body uses energy and burns calories, and the calories used to digest the foods are usually close to the calories that are gained from the food itself.
The benefit that these foods have is that they usually substitute the calorie rich foods we would eat instead. They will also make you full and cause you to eat less of the bad foods that are low in nutrients, but high in sugar, fat and calories.
Here is a list of some fat-burning foods:
- Brussels sprouts
- Ginger roots
- Green beans
- Apple cider vinegar
- Citrus fruits
Something to keep in mind when it comes to dieting is to not eliminate all your favourite foods altogether. It’s difficult to say “no” all the time, and this might make you give up and go overboard. You can have a chocolate bar once in a while; if you are keeping a healthy lifestyle, it’s ok to reward yourself here and there.
Also, if you do end up slipping, don’t punish yourself and become depressed and give up. Keep in mind that consistency is the key, but we’re humans, and it’s natural to crave some foods. Start fresh the next day; changing your eating habits will come with time, but at least after you lose the weight, you will be sure that you will keep it off, because it will have become your lifestyle, not just a temporary change.
Make sure you are controlling your portions. After a meal, you should be between slightly satisfied and slightly hungry. You should never be full or starving. This will help eliminate unnecessary calories, and will help you stop eating when you longer need to eat. Eating five to six small meals a day will increase your metabolism, helping you burn more calories.
The following is a list of the top 5 things to avoid:
- Trans fats: Always make sure your are checking labels for vegetable fat, hydrogenated vegetable fat, and hydrogenated oil. Avoid Trans fats as much as you can because diseases such as coronary artery disease, diabetes, high cholesterol and obesity can result from consuming too much of it. Vegetable oil and canola oil are great substitutes.
- White sugar: White sugar causes our bodies too much harm, yet we are addicted to it. It can lead to obesity, and excess glucose produced by sugar is changed to fatty acids which clogs arteries. White sugar is not only found in sweets, but also in ketchup salad dressing, processed meats, baby food, condiments, cereals, and bread. It has also been shown that white sugar is addictive, so stay far away from it!
- Artificial sweeteners: When trying to avoid white sugar, obviously most of us turn to artificial sweeteners. Replacing white sugar with artificial sweeteners like aspartame has been proven to be even more harmful for our bodies. Try replacing sweeteners with honey; it tastes great, is high in antioxidants and is healthy.
- White flour: White flour is so heavily processed, that there is absolutely no nutritional value left in it. Due to it being a carbohydrate, our bodies tend to store it completely. White bread, pizzas, cake, cookies and other white flour products lead to obesity. Healthy alternatives include whole wheat and whole grains products, which keep you fuller for longer and are great for weight loss.
- Milk and dairies: Many think that it is the fat in milk that is bad for you, however it’s actually the fact that our bodies are not able to break down pasteurized milk products. Avoiding milk and milk products as much as you can, will help you when losing weight; however there are healthy alternatives once again, such as soy milk, low-fat yogurt and cottage cheese rather than cream cheese.
Overall, eating the right foods in the right amount and the right time is the key to successful weight loss, healthy diet and a longer life. Make sure you are incorporating fat-burning foods such as apples, oranges, zucchini, pineapples, and spinach in your diet, as well as foods that will help increase your metabolism, such as chicken, fish, rice and pasta.
Physical activity, fitness and exercise
Exercising is a crucial part of a successful weight loss program, and it is especially required for losing belly fat and sculpting certain areas of the body. A diet will burn fat and show the muscles below; however physical activity will strengthen, sculpt, and tone your body.
What many people do not know is that focusing too much on exercises that target your abdominal area is actually not the best way to lose belly fat. Although exercises such as crunches, knee lifts and hip rollers will help sculpt your abdominal muscles, you should not be spending more than twice a week working out your abs.
The most effective fitness routine is one that incorporates resistance training and cardio workouts together on a regular basis. Cardio will help you burn calories and fat, and doing specific abdominal exercises and strength training will allow you to gain muscle. As you continue to do weight training, you will grow stronger muscles and your body will keep burning more energy, even while you are sleeping and resting, which will results in you losing belly fat.
What exercises specifically target the abdominal area?
The secret to losing belly fat in regards to exercising is weight training. Many take weight training for granted and only stick to boring cardiovascular exercises such as walking or using the treadmill. The key to losing belly fat is a total body fitness program, because when you lose weight, you will lose it all over your body, including your abdominal area.
The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. This doesn’t mean, however, that you need to spend hours at the gym. Sculpting abs is something almost everyone dreams of achieving, and although it’s not easy, it is possible!
Spending an hour, three to four times a week will make a huge difference in how much weight you lose. You need to be aware of the variety of exercises out there that can make working out fun!
Here is a list of fun and adventurous exercises that are great for losing belly fat:
- Sports, such as basketball, soccer and tennis
- Staircase workouts
- Wind sprints and hill sprints
- Body weight workouts
- Mountain biking
- Jumping exercises
- Indoor or outdoor rock climbing
Use your imagination. Anything that gets you moving will make you break a sweat; that’s how you know you are burning calories. Also, high intensity physical exercise is extremely beneficial to losing belly fat. This is an advanced form of cardio where you vary the intensity every few minutes to push your body to its maximum, while burning more calories in a shorter amount of time.
Belly fat and especially love handles are extremely stubborn and losing weight in this specific area may make you feel like giving up. It seems as if as hard as you try, they never go away. Targeting the love handles separately has a greater impact on weight loss, so along with your full body workout, it is vital to also target your abdominal area once or twice a week.
When you exercise, you will develop the muscles needed to burn calories and fat. Cardio exercise will increase your metabolism and strengthen your muscles at the same time. And keep in mind that the more muscle you develop the more fat your body will burn. So, don’t give up. It’s not a hopeless cause.
Giving up? DON’T! There is always a solution.
Losing belly fat will take some time, but in the end you will feel satisfied, confident and healthy! It’s worth the hard work, and once your body becomes accustomed to certain routines, than you will find yourself enjoying every single workout, and wanting to try new things.
Losing belly fat is a goal you have always wanted to achieve. Why not give it another try, but do it the RIGHT way. Change your ways, eating habit, lifestyle and body! And remember, there is no quick fix solution; there is no miracle in sight. No pill, supplement, abs rocket, abs belt or other machine can help you achieve your lifelong goal.
The ONLY solution to losing belly fat and keeping it off for good is to combine a good nutritious diet full of unprocessed, natural foods with a properly designed strategic exercise program that stimulates the necessary hormones and metabolic responses in your body.
Don’t be stuck feeling overweight and unhealthy. It’s about time you engage in a lifestyle that will allow you to live life to the fullest. You owe it to yourself to make a change in your life; take care of your body and your body will take care of you!
Give yourself the best gift of all: a healthier, longer and happier life filled with confidence and energy!